Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In Memoriam: Quinton Duval

Quinton Duval passed away on May 10. A fine poet, a teacher, and the editor and publisher of Red Wing Press, Quinton was a big-hearted man who will be greatly missed. He is the author of four poetry collections, including Joe’s Rain from Cedar House Books. More recently, Rattlesnake Press published his chapbook Among Summer Pines. I have been reading and rereading “Morning Tea,” that book’s last poem since hearing of his death. Here are the last several lines:


Before I left, I saw you set out


the blue bowl full of speckled eggs


and a plate of June peaches.


After breakfast, find Bobo the fisherman


and his four sons. Tell them to bring rope


and a sheet of plywood. I’ve never had


a ride on plywood. I’ve never loved anywhere


as much as here, with you. I’d do it again


in a minute. You know me.


I’ve never had enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment